All auditions will be held in the ETMSW building, 1040 W. Harrison.
Click on the links below to jump to the ensemble you would like to join.
UPDATED January 2018: Woodwind, brass, string, and percussion auditions for these UIC Ensembles will take place Jauary 15-17. The following is information regarding the audition procedure. Please read carefully.
Large ensemble placement policy (new for spring 2018):
- You will be asked to indicat your placement preference(s) among four options: Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Orchestra, Chamber Music, or any combination of these.
- Ensemble Directors will do their best to take your preference into account. however, your assignment will be based in the quality of your audition, not on your preference or availability.
- Only the most advanced players will be placed in the top-tier ensembles, the Wind Ensemble and Orchestra.
- If course conflicts with your ensemble assignment arise, you will be asked to resolve the conflict. Ensemble Directors will work with you to find a solution.
- Note the date, time, and location of the audition block for your instrument. Sign-Up sheets are located on the board next to L048 of the ETMSW building. Sign up for a time that works for your schedule. Auditions will occur in eight-minute intervals in Rm L033. Percussion auditions will be in L060.
- Arrive at the audition site 20 minutes prior to the start of your audition block. Practice rooms are available on the lower level of the ETMSW building.
- There will be a stand outside the audition site which has an information form and a media release form to fill out. You will indicate what ensembles you are auditioning for here. Please fill this out prior to your audition.
- If you have any questions, please wait until the current audition to finish, and feel free to ask the directors inside any questions you may have.
- If you are not able to audition during your instrument’s slot time, please email Dr. Riojas at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an alternate time.
Monday, January 15
3:00 pm – 6:00 pm Winds
Tuesday, January 16
9:00 am – 11:00 am Winds
3:00 pm – 5:30 pm Strings
5:30 pm – 7:00 pm Winds
Wednesday, January 17
9:00 am – 10:45 am Winds
12:00 pm – 2:00 pm Winds
3:00 pm – 4:30 pm Percussion
4:30 pm – 7:00 pm Strings
Winds/Brass/Percussion: Prepare all or a portion of each excerpt.
String Music Majors should contact Dr. Bergonzi for excerpts.
String players who are not music majors DO NOT need to prepare the excerpt. You should play 3-5 minutes of your favorite piece. However, violinists who would like to be considerd for Violin I must also play the Violin I excerpt from Offenbach's Overtur to Orpheus in the Underworld.
- These will be emailed to all students who auditioned.
- Bands: Will also be posted Thursday, January 18 no later than 2:00 pm outside of L048.
- Orchestra and Chamber Music: Will be posted on Friday, January 19.
- Auditions are intended to provide the Ensemble Directors with the information needed to place students in the correct ensemble, assign parts appropriately, and program the best music for each ensemble. Auditions are not intended to disclude anyone from participation in the Band, Orchestra, and Instrumental Music Program. All are welcome!
- It is a requirement for members of all ensembles to enroll in the proper course and section to which they are assigned: MUS 151 (Bands), MUS 157 (University Orchestras); MUS 152 (Chamber Music). Each course earns you 1 Credit Hour.
- Exceptions to this enrollment requirement are considered on an individual basis by the appropriate instructor. Please contact any of the Ensemble Directors if you have any questions or concerns regarding this policy.
First Required Attendance, Rehearsals, and/or Meetings:
- Chamber Music
- Students placed in a Chamber Music Ensemble will first meet the second week of school as organized by your instructor according to your schedules.
- UIC Orchestra
- First rehearsal for strings on Thursday, January 18, 3:30 - 5:30pm and all members, including winds and percussion, on Tuesday, January 23, 3:30 pm - 5:30 pm.
- UIC Symphonic Band
- Students interested exclusively in the UIC Symphonic Band should just plan to attend the first meeting on Wednesday, January 17 at 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm. You will receive a syllabus and music for hearings to be heard on Monday, January 22 between 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm.
- Students who are placed in Symphonic Band through the full audition process will first attend rehearsal on Wednesday, January 24 at 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm.
- UIC Wind Ensemble
- First rehearsal will be on Friday, January 19 at the normal rehearsal time of 4:00 pm - 4:50 pm.
How to audition:
UPDATED APRIL 2018: Auditions for all choral ensembles will take place during Spring finals week, and during the first week of Fall 2018 classes. Time slot signup sheets will be available outside Room L216, ETMSW. Auditions are for ensemble placement, as well as entrance into Chamber Choir (MUS 154). Audition repertoire:
- Sing your voice part's line of Follow the Sun (PDF download here). If you are unfamiliar with the Spanish language, sing the notes on the syllable "la."
- Be prepared to sing your part on both Follow the Sun AND the Renaissance excercise on the page that follows.
- Bring this completed form to your audition.
UPDATED For Spring 2018 Pool: Jazz Ensemble only on in L285 from If you would like to be considered for Jazz Ensemble (MF12-2pm, W12-1pm) you must sign up for an audition here. No improvisation is necessary for this audition, just the performance of your part.
UPDATED AUGUST 2017:Vocal Jazz Ensemble Auditions
Auditions will take place on August 29, 2017 at 1:15 in the Recital Hall (L285), ETMSW. All singers not previously selected for VJE should arrive at 1:15.
Please prepare a jazz tune of your choice. An accompanist will be provided.
Contact Cheryl Wilson at email@example.com any additional questions.
UPDATED AUGUST 2017: Students interested in the UIC Pep Band should attend the informational meeting on Tuesday, September 5, 5:45-7:00 pm in the ETMSW Building. If you have any questions please call (312) 996-5307 or come to room L017, ETMSW, 1040 W. Harrison St.