All auditions will be held in the ETMSW building, 1040 W. Harrison.
Click on the links below to jump to the ensemble you would like to join.
UPDATED AUGUST 2017: Woodwind, brass, string, and percussion auditions for these UIC Ensembles will take place August 28-30. See Additional Information for information on hearings for those specifically interested in Symphonic Band. The following is information regarding the audition procedure. Please read carefully.
- Note the date, time, and location of the audition block for your instrument. Sign-Up sheets are located on the board next to L048 of the ETMSW building. Sign up for a time that works for your schedule. Auditions will occur in eight-minute intervals in Rm L033. Percussion auditions will be in L060.
- Arrive at the audition site 20 minutes prior to the start of your audition block. Practice rooms are available on the lower level of the ETMSW building.
- There will be a stand outside the audition site which has an information form and a media release form to fill out. You will indicate what ensembles you are auditioning for here. Please fill this out prior to your audition.
- If you have any questions, please wait until the current audition to finish, and feel free to ask the directors inside any questions you may have.
- If you are not able to audition during your instrument’s slot time, please email Dr. Riojas at email@example.com to schedule an alternate time.
Monday, August 28
9:00 am – 10:45 am Wind Instruments
12:30 pm – 3:00 pm Wind Instruments
4:00 pm – 6:00 pm Wind Instruments
Tuesday, August 29
10:00 am – 12:00 pm Strings
3:00 pm – 5:30 pm Strings
5:30 pm – 7:00 pm Wind Instruments
Wednesday, August 30
9:00 am – 10:45 am Wind Instruments
12:00 pm – 1:30 pm Wind Instruments
1:30 pm – 3:00 pm Percussion
4:00 pm – 7:00 pm Strings
Winds/Brass/Percussion: Prepare all or a portion of each excerpt.
String Music Majors should prepare all excerpts.
String players who are not majoring in music, should prepare all or a portion of each excerpt. In addition, they may play 2-3 minutes of their favorite piece of music of any style or genre.
- String Bass
• Auditions are intended to provide the directors with the information needed to place students in the correct ensemble, assign parts appropriately, and program the best music
for each ensemble. Auditions are not intended to disclude anyone from participation in the Band, Orchestra, and Instrumental Music Program. All are welcome!
• Audition results for Bands will be posted on Thursday, August 31 no later than 2:00 pm outside of L048. Results for Orchestra and Chamber Music will be posted on Friday, September 1. They will also be emailed to all students who auditioned.
• String results for orchestra will be posted late Wednesday, August 30th outside of L034. Wind/percussion results for band and orchestra will be posted on Thursday, August 31 no later than 2:00 pm outside of L048. Chamber Music will be posted on Friday, September 1. Results will also be emailed to all students who auditioned.
• Students interested exclusively in the UIC Symphonic Band should just plan to attend the first meeting on Monday, August 28 at 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm. You will receive a syllabus and music for hearings to be heard on Wednesday, August 30 between 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm. These are quick hearings held in order to place students on appropriate parts. Hearings do not disclude anyone from participation in the Symphonic Band. All are welcome!
• First Rehearsals:
The UIC Wind Ensemble will have its first rehearsal on Friday, September 1 at the normal rehearsal time of 4:00 pm - 4:50 pm.
The UIC Symphonic Band will have its first meeting on Wednesday, September 6 at 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm.
The UIC Orchestra will have its first rehearsal for strings on Thursday, August 31 at 3:30 pm a 5:30 pm and all members, including winds and percussion, on Tuesday, September 5 at 3:30 pm - 5:30 pm.
Those placed in a Chamber Music Ensemble will first meet the second week of school as organized by your instructor according to your schedules.
• It is a requirement for members of all ensembles to enroll in the proper course and section for each ensemble (MUS 151, MUS 157, MUS 152; 1 Credit Hour). Exceptions to this requirement are considered on an individual basis by the appropriate instructor. Please contact Dr. Riojas at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns regarding this policy.
UPDATED JULY 2017: Auditions for all choral ensembles will take place August 28-30. Time slot signup sheets will be available beginning August 21, outside Room L216. Auditions are for chair placement, as well as entrance into Chamber Choir (MUS 154). Audition repertoire:
- Sing your voice part's line of Allon, Gay Bergeres (PDF download here). If you are unfamiliar with the French language, sing the notes on the syllable "la."
- Be prepared to sing one of these six exercises.
UPDATED JULY 2017: All students who wish to play in a jazz group must audition each year. Auditions will take place August 28 & 30.
Trumpet/Trombone/Saxophone: Sign up for an audition time slot here.
Sight-reading (big bands auditions only)
Play the melody and improvise to one of the following blues songs (pick one):
Play the melody and improvise to one of the following additional songs (pick one):
Wednesday, August 30, 12:00 PM (Room L285). All players should arrive at 12:00.
Grooves (drummers only)
Sight-reading (big bands only)
Improvise/comp/walk/keep time on F or Bb blues
Improvise/comp/walk/keep time on Autumn Leaves (g min): Concert Pitch Score
UPDATED AUGUST 2017:Vocal Jazz Ensemble Auditions
Auditions will take place on August 29, 2017 at 1:15 in the Recital Hall (L285), ETMSW. All singers not previously selected for VJE should arrive at 1:15.
Please prepare a jazz tune of your choice. An accompanist will be provided.
Contact Cheryl Wilson at email@example.com any additional questions.
UPDATED AUGUST 2017: Students interested in the UIC Pep Band should attend the informational meeting on Tuesday, September 5, 5:45-7:00 pm in the ETMSW Building. If you have any questions please call (312) 996-5307 or come to room L017, ETMSW, 1040 W. Harrison St.