Music Degree Auditions
At UIC, we are interested in the musical backgrounds and passions you can bring to our program as well as the extent of your formal training, whatever that may be. We recognize that there are many paths to music study.
Auditions/interviews are required for entrance into all music degree programs. Audition requirements differ by degree and musical background.
Please click on a link below to view audition requirements for each degree.
Bachelor of Music (BM)
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Music
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Music Business
Spring and Fall 2023 Audition Information
It is encouraged that you come to campus for an in-person audition if possible. However, if you are unable to make it to campus, we do accept recorded auditions as well.
After you submit your initial application, you will receive an email with instructions for either scheduling an on-campus audition or submitting a recorded audition, depending on your preference.
Spring and Fall Audition Dates
If you cannot make any of the audition dates listed above but would still like to come to an on-campus audition, please email Ben Kenis and we will do our best to accommodate.
Jazz Auditions (Jazz Instrumentalists and Vocalists)
- Saturday, November 12th from 1:00PM-5:00PM (for Early Action & Spring 2023 applicants)
- Saturday, February 4th from 1:00PM-5:00PM
- Saturday, February 18th from 1:00PM-3:00PM
- Monday, February 20th from 2:00PM-6:00PM
- Friday, March 3rd from 1:00PM-5:00PM
- Saturday, March 4th from 1:00PM-5:00PM
Classical Wind and Percussion Auditions
- Saturday, November 12th from 1:30PM-3:00PM (for Early Action & Spring 2023 applicants)
- Saturday, February 4th from 1:30PM-3:00PM
- Saturday, February 18th from 1:30PM-3:00PM
- Monday, February 20th from 2:00PM-4:00PM
- Saturday, March 4th from 1:30PM-3:00PM
- Saturday, November 12th from 10:00AM-12:00PM (for Early Action & Spring 2023 applicants)
- Saturday, February 4th from 10:00AM-12:00PM
- Saturday, February 18th from 10:00AM-12:00PM
- Saturday, November 12th from 3:00PM-5:00PM (for Early Action & Spring 2023 applicants)
- Saturday, February 4th from 3:00PM-5:00PM
- Saturday, February 18th from 3:00PM-5:00PM
- Monday, February 20th from 4:00PM-6:00PM
- Saturday, March 4th from 11:00AM-1:00PM
- Friday, November 11th from 3:00PM-5:00PM (for Early Action & Spring 2023 applicants)
- Friday, February 3rd from 3:00PM-5:00PM
- Friday, February 18th from 3:00PM-5:00PM
- Friday, February 24th from 3:00PM-5:00PM
- Friday, March 3rd from 3:00PM-5:00PM
On the Day of Your Audition
On the date of your audition, we will meet you at the lower level of UIC’s School of Theatre & Music at 1044 W Harrison. Our building is very easily accessible via the CTA Blue Line; exit on the UICHalsted stop and exit towards Morgan (not Halsted). If you prefer, paid parking is available in the lot just west of our building. You may arrive up to an hour before your assigned time. Warmup space will be available at least 15 minutes before your time.
In accordance with University of Illinois at Chicago COVID-19 safety guidelines, all visitors in attendance for on-campus interviews must submit either proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of coming to campus. These can be sent via email to email@example.com. Additionally, everyone will be required to wear a mask at all times while in university spaces indoors. Wind players can remove their masks only while playing their instrument. Vocalists will be required to perform while masked.
MUSIC ENSEMBLE AUDITIONS
The information above is only for those individuals interested in enrolling in a music degree program. If you are interested in any of our music ensembles, information can be found on the Ensemble Auditions page.