At UIC, we are interested in the musical backgrounds and passions you can bring to our program as well as the extent of your formal training, whatever that may be. We recognize that there are many paths to music study.
Auditions/interviews are required for entrance into all music degree programs. Audition requirements differ by degree and musical background. Please click on a link below to view audition requirements for each degree.
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Music
Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Music Business
After you submit your application you will receive an email from Admissions providing you with instructions for signing up for your individual audition appointment.
The current auditions dates are listed below.
Fall 2020 Music Audition Dates and Times
- Monday Nov 11, 2019, from 2:00pm-5:00pm
- Saturday Dec 7th, 2019, from 10:00am-12:30pm
- Saturday Feb 1st, 2020, from 11:00am-1:00pm
- Saturday Feb 15th, 2020, from 11:00am-2:00pm
- Monday Feb 17th, 2020, from 2:00pm-5:00pm
- Saturday Mar 14th, 2020, from 11:00am-2:00pm
Classical Voice Auditions
- Monday Nov 18th, 2019, from 5:00pm-6:00pm
- Monday Jan 27th, 2020, from 5:00pm-6:00pm
- Monday Feb 17th, 2020, from 5:00pm-7:00pm
- Monday Mar 16th, 2020, from 5:00pm-6:00pm
Jazz Voice Auditions
- Monday Nov 18th, 2019, from 4:00pm-6:00pm
- Monday Jan 27th, 2020, from 4:00pm-6:00pm
- Monday Feb 17th, 2020, from 4:00pm-6:00pm
- Monday Mar 16th, 2020, from 4:00pm-6:00pm
At your audition, you will spend part of your time with us, playing or singing pieces and musical exercises that you will need to prepare in advance. The specific material depends on what degree you would like to earn, whether you sing and, if you play, what instrument you play. If you have a private lesson teacher or music teacher in school, they may be able to help you select and prepare your materials.
On the Day of Your Audition
Here are two parts of your day at UIC:
Audition. This is when you will play or sing for 2-3 members of the music faculty. We will also talk with you about your background and interests in music (20 minutes).
Aural Musicianship Checkup & Music Notation Diagnostic Test. The information we gain by your doing this does not determine whether you are admitted or not. It just allows us to plan for which music skills classes would be the best ones for you in the event that you are a student in the fall. These diagnostic tests tell use two things about your background: First, how well you can play something—in this case just a 3-4 note pattern—by ear, without music notation. We also want to find out how much you know about music notation and theory. The exams should take about 30 minutes.