What can I study at UIC School of Theatre & Music?
Our Music curriculum provides a thorough grounding in theory, history and literature, ear-training, piano skills, and ethnomusicology. Music students participate in performance ensembles including Choirs, Jazz Ensembles, Orchestra, Wind Ensemble, University Band, and a number of chamber music groups.
Our Music Degrees:
Our Theatre curriculum emphasizes a balance between practice and theory, with courses in acting, movement, voice, script analysis, directing, writing, adaptation of literature for the stage, devising, design, technical theatre, and stage management, as well as history, contemporary performance techniques, and performance ethnography. Students enjoy individual attention in small classes, and the opportunity to work on up to four mainstage productions, as well as a number of student productions, each year.
Our Theatre Degrees:
How do I apply?
- Apply to UIC through the Common Application.
- Arrange for your academics to be sent to the university:
- High school students: official transcript, test scores (ACT or SAT), Common Application School Report.
- Transfer students: official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended.
- International students: you must also take and submit your TOEFL score.
- All applicants must audition for consideration. You will receive an email to schedule your audition/interview after submitting your completed application.
- Review the audition requirements (Theatre or Music), and prepare your audition. It is your responsibility to present a complete, prepared audition.
How much does it cost?
You can find information on tuition estimates using our UIC Tuition Estimate tool. Click here to find an estimate for your tuition.
Scholarships and tuition awards are awarded to students with excellent academic and artistic achievement. They range from $200 to $6,000 and are available to students based on an application and competitive audition. B.F.A. theatre majors and music majors/minors are given priority. All tuition awards incur performance obligations within the department, such as membership in and performance with the UIC ensembles and/or participation in UIC Theatre productions. Scholarship deadlines are determined by faculty and may vary from year to year. To be considered you must have already been admitted.
Auditions are required for music applicants. Please see our degree auditions page for more information. Recipients MUST also complete a FAFSA application (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and submit it to the UIC Financial Aid Office.
How do I become a theatre or music minor?
1. Contact Neal McCollam to arrange a preliminary interview.
2. Once approved, declare your theatre minor with us, with your college’s student affairs office, and register for classes.
1. Contact Ben Kenis (firstname.lastname@example.org) to arrange a music theory diagnostic quiz.
2. Once you have passed the exam, declare your music minor with us, with your college’s student affairs office. Contact the College of Architecture, Design and the Arts (CADA) adivsor Lisa Tang before registering for music courses.
3. Did you pass Music 107 (fundamentals of Music Theory) with an “A” at UIC? You automatically qualify for the minor! Contact Ben Kenis (email@example.com) to declare the minor and register.
I'm admitted. What do I do now?
You got a call or email from us, and you got in. Congratulations! Heads up: this isn't your official UIC acceptance; you'll get that from the UIC office of admissions.
Once you've gotten our notification, complete the Intent To Enroll here. You must complete this to accept your STM offer, and any financial awards we have offered you. Deadline is December 1 for spring entry, May 1 for fall entry.
Talk to Us! Theatre & Music Admission Events
Visit campus on your schedule. Let us know when you'll be here and we'll arrange for you to see classes, rehearsal, and more!