July 10-21, 2017
Monday - Friday: 9AM - 4PM
"It was a phenomenal experience for my daugher. She has made some really good friends and developed some great skills"
- theatre camp parent
Immerse yourself in a creative, supportive community to devise a new work. Collaborate as an ensemble led by Lookingglass Theatre Company founding ensemble member, David Kersnar.
Work together to write and perform an original piece, inspired by a topic important to you. UIC theatre faculty provide instruction in movement, voice, and design.
No prior theatre experience necessary.
"I am more interested in training a group of young people to follow their creative instinct than merely follow my direction"
- David Kersnar, Camp Faculty 2015 & 2016 (read more from an interview with David HERE)
COURSE COST: $475; SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE
REGISTER ONLINE TODAY
To apply for a scholarship fill out an online form here. Please read the instructions at the top of the form before completing.
Please email Sarah Simmons, Camp Coordinator, at email@example.com or call 312-996-2867 with any questions you may have.
"We all had the same passion, we all wanted to create something beautiful"
- theatre camp student
The movement master classes support Lookingglass’ creative process by providing students with practices to help them stay grounded, limber, and physically engaged. Sessions focus on preparing students physically through:
- Group improvisations
- Ensemble games
- Establishing body awareness
- Providing effective warm-up practices, including yoga and similar internal explorations
- Teaching ensemble trust and responsibility
Voice for the Actor sessions give a sample of training offered at UIC that is immediately applicable to the creation of new work in the Lookingglass curriculum. Each session is designed to guide students in healthy vocal usage and shared creation in an immersive environment. Fundamentals will include:
- Breath awareness to find freedom and support
- Vocal changes to create character
- Speech work to heighten self-expression and clarity
- Work with a shared or choral text specifically designed to bring awareness to shared creation in the auditory realm
Students will engage in a theatre design workshop each week. Each workshop introduces and teaches skills necessary in creating elements for the original devised work such as:
- Basic stage craft elements
- Proper use of scene shop tools
- A demonstration of basic prop and costume construction
- Development of costumes and props for original devised work
- Construction/crafting costumes and props for original devised work
In addition to growing as theatre artists, students have ample opportunity to develop relationships with other young artists and experience life on a university campus. We hope you will join us at UIC this summer for two weeks of inspired theatre making!
Click HERE to learn more about the UIC Symphonic Band Camp.